Current Team: Las Vegas Aces | #12
Draft: 2014 | Duke | 1st round (11th overall)
Key Accolades: WNBA Champion (2016) All-WNBA (2017, 2019), All-Star (2017-2019)
The Down Low
I learned a lot about Chelsea, and the WNBA, watching this documentary about her decision to sign with the Las Vegas Aces in 2021 Free Agency. One theme of the documentary is how she believes the players of the WNBA should demand more from the teams recruiting them and be treated like the professional athletes they are. It's great when players on Chelsea's level use their power to demand more so they can bring the next generation up with them.
Because to be clear, Chelsea has established herself as a star in the league. She is known as the Point Gawd and one of the best ball handlers and passers of all time. Usually, I put the highlight reel as its own section, but I think it's important to understand just how good Chelsea is at passing the ball:
When I think about the level of skill to assess the situation, anticipate where the players will move, and put the ball in the exact right spot all without looking?!?! my mind is truly blown. She also is known to thrive particularly in late game situations. As Atlanta Dream coach Nicki Collen said:
You just can’t let it come down to Chelsea Gray time. Quite frankly, she can be bad for three quarters, but when the game’s on the line late, she’s just unbelievably confident.
Other things to know about Chelsea:
- Teamed up with her wife Tipesa and drag queen Peppermint for How We Got Here, a series about LGBTQ+ history. In one episode, they talk about WNBA star Brittney Griner, and how she inspires them to also live loudly and proudly.
- Looked incredible in suspenders at the All Star game in 2019.
- Makes great sweet potato mash.
- I'm very excited to see the dances she comes up with with A'ja Wilson.
- Also a paint color - a warm gray with some meat on its bones - if that means anything to you.
More on Chelsea